CMS released their final regulation that includes modifications to Stage 2 of the EHR Incentive (meaningful use) Program and outlines the requirements for Stage 3 of the program. The rule also specifies EHR certification standards and finalizes the government's "interoperability roadmap." For meaningful use in 2015 through 2017, major provisions include:
- Shortened 2015 reporting period (from all year to any 90 consecutive days in 2015);
- Ten objectives for eligible professionals including one public health reporting objective, down from 18 total objectives;
- Reduced number of measures that are required to be reported;
- Reduced measure threshold for View, Download or Transmit (from 5% to just one patient in 2015); and
- Reduced measure threshold for Secure Messaging (from 5% to simply having the capability in 2015).